Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I am an iconographer, who sells notecard and prints of my…

Customer Question
I am an iconographer...

I am an iconographer, who sells notecard and prints of my original work. I would like the prints and notecards to be protected. My new business name is "icons for Today" and I am going to hae a website with that domain name.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has an application or legal action been filed?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documentation do you have?

About ten year's worth of notecards.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
7/29/2017
IP Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your intellectual property law question today. Your notecards and prints are covered under copyright law. So once you created you are attributed automatic protection under US copyright law. It is also possible to register your work with the US copyright office; this would entitle you to statutory damages in case of a future infringement.

It is possible to register a group of works under one registration.

https://www.copyright.gov/registration/

There is no law preventing you from using your business name as a website domain name so long as the domain name is free; you are entitled to register under that domain name of your business.

If you would like to trademark your business protects for further protection you can do this through the USPTO.

You can apply here through the trademark electronic application system:

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/filing-online

Please follow up with me if you need more information.

We are here to help.

In return kindly remember to rate positively.

This is how I get a credit for my time and response.

You so this by rating 5*****, 4****, or better

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before exiting.

Thanks

Attorney Bill