How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Attorney Your Own Question
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1325
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Bill Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an iconographer, who sells notecard and prints of my

Customer Question

I am an iconographer, who sells notecard and prints of my original work. I would like the prints and notecards to be protected. My new business name is "icons for Today" and I am going to hae a website with that domain name.
JA: Has an application or legal action been filed?
Customer: No.
JA: What documentation do you have?
Customer: About ten year's worth of notecards.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. thanks
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your intellectual property law question today. Your notecards and prints are covered under copyright law. So once you created you are attributed automatic protection under US copyright law. It is also possible to register your work with the US copyright office; this would entitle you to statutory damages in case of a future infringement.

It is possible to register a group of works under one registration.

There is no law preventing you from using your business name as a website domain name so long as the domain name is free; you are entitled to register under that domain name of your business.

If you would like to trademark your business protects for further protection you can do this through the USPTO.

You can apply here through the trademark electronic application system:

Please follow up with me if you need more information.

We are here to help.

In return kindly remember to rate positively.

This is how I get a credit for my time and response.

You so this by rating 5*****, 4****, or better

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before exiting.


Attorney Bill