How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Reese Your Own Question
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3106
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Alex Reese is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Father wrote and recorded 2 songs in the early 70's. He

Customer Question

My Father wrote and recorded 2 songs in the early 70's. He made multiple demos ( in 45 record size), but then he passed away in a car accident. Now his music is being played internationally as a classic and the 45's are being sold for over $200. Recently My Fathers song is being played at the baseball intermission by a brewery in Kansas City. I am his first born. Do I have any rights to this work being play everywhere for free. It is possible that the recording studio is receiving funds for this music.
JA: The IP Attorney's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He was never able to profit from his music. Can I (as his son) obtain royalty rights to his works?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Were the songs ever published by your father, or were records, etc... made at the time by the studio / label?

Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 12 days ago.

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Again, I don't know if you wish to continue. Please advise.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions