Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

My Father wrote and recorded 2 songs in the early 70's. He

Customer Question
My Father wrote and recorded...
My Father wrote and recorded 2 songs in the early 70's. He made multiple demos ( in 45 record size), but then he passed away in a car accident. Now his music is being played internationally as a classic and the 45's are being sold for over $200. Recently My Fathers song is being played at the baseball intermission by a brewery in Kansas City. I am his first born. Do I have any rights to this work being play everywhere for free. It is possible that the recording studio is receiving funds for this music.
JA: The IP Attorney's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He was never able to profit from his music. Can I (as his son) obtain royalty rights to his works?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
7/14/2017
IP Lawyer: Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Robert McEwen, Esq.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Were the songs ever published by your father, or were records, etc... made at the time by the studio / label?

Did you see my follow up question to your issue?

Again, I don't know if you wish to continue. Please advise.

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer