Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I am attempting to register a trademark for my social media

Customer Question

Hi there, I am attempting to register a trademark for my social media website. I am wondering which class of goods/services to register it for
JA: Is the trademark federally registered?
Customer: I am attempting to federally register it, under an ITU basis
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No, no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is a reddit-like website
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This type of site would qualify under several classifications, depending on the exact nature of your site.
Class 35 covers services related to the sale and marketing of goods and services. These trademarks might cover advertising and marketing services provided by social media: Social media strategy and marketing consultancy focusing on helping clients create and extend their product and brand strategies by building virally engaging marketing solutions. Providing a website where users can post ratings, reviews, and recommendations on products and services.
Class 38 is for telecommunications. This class would cover microb-logging sites such as Twitter. Descriptions might include: Providing online chat rooms for social networking. Global communication services, namely, providing online forums and electronic messaging in the fields of social networking and micro-blogging and delivered over and via the global computer and wireless networks, including but not limited to the Internet and mobile phones
Class 41 includes education and entertainment related services in a specified field. Blogs and online journals about certain subjects would be classified here. Examples would be On-line journals, namely, blogs featuring {indicate field or subject matter}. Providing a website featuring online publications in the nature of blogs and articles added on a weekly or other frequent periodic basis in whatever specific field.
Class 42 is one of several tech classes at the USPTO, covering the design and development of computer hardware and software. Social media measuring tools belong in this class as do any technical, programming, or computer services related to social media, such as creating and maintaining blogs for others or On-line computer search engine services providing customized on-line web pages featuring user-defined information
Class 45 encompasses personal and social services in any field rendered by others to meet the needs of individuals.
Examples are Community outreach services provided to pregnant women, namely, on-line social networking services, Online social networking services provided through a sports community website, Online social networking in the field of food.
You need to decide which of those fit your particular site best and decide.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.