How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  18 years experience
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an online store at selling vintage comic

This answer was rated:

I have an online store at selling vintage comic books that were being published in the late 1960’s and all the way up into the years 1985. The original publisher is Warren Publishing Company and they went out of business in the 1980’s and I don’t know whom owns the copyright to these comics now. What I want to do is take some of the better ones in my personal collection and scan them into a digital format such as an e-book so I can sell them at my website and as a Kindle book on What I want to know is in the area of copyright law. I hired a person on to do a basic copyright search and this is what he told me: “The comics which are published in the 60’s or 70’s are now public property and you can legally use them. The comics which are published in the 80’s and 90’s you cannot use if they are protected without the owners permission.” So I guess my question is what are my rights to do legally without being sued for copyright infringement.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have an answer for me?

I'm not sure where the Fiverr person got their information, but that's entirely incorrect in the US.

The rule for copyright is much, much longer than that. All works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the original date of creation or publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.

You would have to look for both the successors to the publishing company plus the successor to the writer/artist. Likely the publishing company has all the rights so if you track down their successor in interest then they should be the ones who own the rights. If there is no successor in interest then you have to start looking for the writer/artist and check with their heirs if they are not alive.

The place to start with the publishing company is probably the bankruptcy court because very few companies went out of business in the 80s and 90s without involving a bankruptcy.

PLease be patient, I am still working on the rest of the answer.

The best way to find this info is to hire a local paralegal to do online research and to contact the bankruptcy courts for you.

If it turns out a bankruptcy wasn't involved then you have to research the writer/artists, find out if they are still alive and if not, have the paralegal get a copy of their probate file to see who inherited their estate. Hopefully they are still alive or the next set of heirs is still alive because, if not, you have to keep checking probate records each time an heir has passed away to see who their heirs are.

If you violate copyright I believe the range of fines per violation is $20k to $100k, so it is substantial. This would be for a knowing violation or for one where the proper research just wasn't done, as opposed to an "accidental violation" which is rare.

Also, you can negotiate for just the digital rights or for the rights to the entire property.

I'm finished with the answer now so if you have any questions, please post them.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

JD 1992 and 4 other Intellectual Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions