Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I got a copyright infringement notice from Servpro.com. We

I got a copyright infringement...
I got a copyright infringement notice from Servpro.com. We have owned a website for several years called serviceproslocal.com. They are requesting us stop using the website which we have invested 100's of thousand of dollars in SEO and pay them $25000 within 14 days.
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: email letter
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can provide documentation ok
3/30/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly are they claiming that your website is infringing on? Images, logos, trademarks, etc? And if so, is their claim correct or not? The more you can tell me, the better.

their issue is with our domain name not any web content...*******************.

I see. Okay. Is there any way you can upload me a copy of their demand letter?

never mind...just sent

Thank you. Please give me a second to review...

No problem...thanks for your time.

Okay. So... what do you need to know? For example:

1) How does such a lawsuit work?

2) Do we have to pay them?

3) Is this negotiable?

4) Etc.

I just wanted to know if you felt serviceproslocal.com is infringing on their name serv pro. I honestly don't think anyone would be confused that we are serv pro.
there is nothing on our site referring serv pro or any misleading info going on.
our logos have no similarity.

.

Well... frankly... possibly. However, I am not the Judge. And it would be a Judge or Jury to decide.

First of all, a little review.

Trademarks

Phrases may be copyrighted. A trademark is any word, name, slogan, design, or symbol used in commerce to identify a particular product and distinguish it from others. Trademarks are filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

Copyright
Copyrighted images are filed with the U.S. Copyright Office. They work very much like trademarks.

Trademark Claim
What you have here are two parties that essentially use the same logos and close names. If so, then there is NO CLEAR ANSWER as to who gets to keep the trademarks, and, if it can be shared. The Court would have to decide if one party pushes on it, depending but not limited to the following:

-who copyrighted/trademarked it first
-who actually began using it first
-what kind of industry one uses it in and whether or not the other party is in another industry, or, in direct or indirect competition with the first party
-whether any party was malicious in their actions
-whether the phrase/verbiage/image of the first party confuses/dilutes the other party's claim

Honestly, they may have a good claim, because this IS the same industry and they DID trademark it first. If so, it is always best to negotiate it away before filing anything.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Ely, Counselor at Law

I am not saying that they are identical. And it is a stretch. However, I would not want to litigate this matter unless you absolutely feel that you could win and can spend $5k to $10k in defense.

thank you...I understand...we have spent over 100K in the SEO for this domain...so it may be worth fighting. Paul

I might agree with you. I would consider getting an attorney to write back a letter, and perhaps they will drop the matter.

Ely, Counselor at Law