Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I have designed an adult coloring book based on hymns. The

Customer Question

I have designed an adult coloring book based on hymns. The majority of these hymns are in the public domain, however, a few are not. There is no music, lyrics or any other mention of the hymn in the design. Can I legally list the title of the designs? I have researched that titles are not protected. This is my own work of art that is based on the titles of these hymns. If the title is not listed, there is absolutely no indication that the design is definitely from any particular hymn.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'm here to help. For your information, copyright and trademarks are generally judged based on their distinctiveness from the original work of art. If you could not find that these titles are protected, then the other party, to win a claim of copyright infringement in civil or criminal court, must show he or she owns a valid copyright, the defendant actually copied the work, and the level of copying amounts to misappropriation. So, unless you directly copied, you should be able to beat a copyright claim.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, thanks for using Just Answer!

Also, it’s the worst part of my job to ask, but would you be able to provide me with your opinion of my service? It helps both me and Just Answer get better on figuring out how to serve you. Remember, follow up questions in this thread are free!