Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.
77476456

Copyright Insurance What does this cover exactly for creator

Copyright Insurance
What does this cover exactly for creator of tv show or movie orginal ideaLike I make my own show that I sell to a team who evulation and said it's truly original idea but another studio have reason to belive it's a copyright and the creator like me will get sued for over 100,000,000$I wouldn't know how to get that type of money
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How munch is the insurance any ideas
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm just asking

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. It may take a few minutes to type. Please bear with me.

If you see a phone call request please know that it is generated by the system not by me. Please do not feel obligated to accept the phone call request – it is optional. If you DO want a phone call let me know and I can arrange it. That way you are sure to get me.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Intellectual Property Insurance (which includes copyrights) protects creators, producers, distributors from infringement litigation.

It is designed to protect not only the liability question but the costs of defending a complaint that your work infringed on someone else's intellectual property.

The costs vary depending on the value you are assigning the project. The higher dollar amount of coverage that you are seeking the higher the premium (with discounts at certain price points).

I can not give you a dollar amount for coverage because it depends on the nature of the project and different insurers will ass the risk differently.

This is a good article on the nature of the product:

https://www.irmi.com/articles/expert-commentary/intellectual-property-coverage-are-you-naked

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
U see I made my own orginal tv show idea and show to copyright lawyer and tells me orginal and like to sell it to a studio so they can evulation but if they tell me it's truly a orginal idea and they said they would want to buy it
Now this show got very popular
But another studio have reason to belive it's a copyright as they want to sued me the creator for millions of dollars where on earth can I get the type of money lol
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also I don't understand
How munch is insurance for copyright if I get sued for millionsI only make like 500$ a week of work

You can't get the insurance AFTER you are sued. It is insurance. It has to be in place before the fact.

If your income and assets are that low you may be judgment proof (that is you do not have sufficient assets to pay a judgment). That is something to explore with a local attorney. BUT the point being if you are sued and have no funds you would declare bankruptcy and the judgment against you would be worthless.

Your best bet right now is to speak with a defense attorney near you.

See:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practice/intellectual-property-law

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't put my show out
I'm not being sued
I'm just asking questions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm asking can copyright insurance help to prevent from another studios to sued me
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I really made a tv show idea
I will like to sell it to a studio
I will like them to evulation on it and they can see it's orginal idea
I will like to get copyright lawyer to see this is a truly original idea as well but I'm scaredIf both of the studio and the copyright lawyer said it's a original show idea that another studio like Walt Disney or Pixar or Dreamwkrjs saids it's a copyright and they want to sued me as the creator for millions of dollars I don't have that type of money
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know how to get that money

Sorry for the delayed response. I am having some tech issues.

OKAY. That's smart.

You can negotiate with the studio, or producer or whoever buys your product that as part of your compensation you want them to include you in their own intellectual property insurance.

You can state that since you are just a start up, and while you can warranty the work is original, you lack the funds to self insure. So that if they want to buy the product they need to include you in their policy.

It would be part of your negotiation with them to buy your show.

As an aside if you believe this is your calling in life (to create) you may want to start shopping for an attorney/agent once you have someone interested in your show. They will have the knowledge and ability to help you navigate the industry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How munch is copyright Insurance is it very safe from getting sued

Hello:

Copyright insurance premiums depend entirely on the amount of coverage, number of projects, co-pays, length of term.

So it is impossible to give you a cost definitive cost factor, but you can expect to pay in the $20 to $30 thousand dollar mark for a decent policy.

Like anything else you want to shop insurance companies. But there is little reason to purchase it unless you are looking at a definite deal to buy your show, and even then, as we discussed you can negotiate the issue with the production company.

* $20 to $30 thousand dollar mark for a decent policy - 2 million coverage.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wow I not rich
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Their are some that could sue over 100-300million

I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

Put together your project. Shop it around. If you get a company interested in buying the project they will take car of the production costs, including the insurance.

Once you get significant interest in your project hire an attorney/agent to review the deal and negotiate these kinds of terms for you.

DO NOT let your fear of this stop you from pursuing your creative dreams and goals.

You are focusing on things that need not concern you at this POINT in time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But what if a studio really wanted to sued me for copyright as the creator it's my responsibility
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I even talk to the studio on Amozan chat and they said the same thing

There is no law suit unless there is a very successful product. They have to prove that you infringed on the copyright.

The production companies are aware that these issues come up. They have the money and resources to fight these issues.

They will not buy your product if there is an obvious infringement. When they buy your product you have them pay for the insurance.

It is part of the deal you make. When you have a company interested in your project you hire an agent to negotiate these terms.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's why I'm scared if it's very successful another studio will find away
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think they do insurance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will u like to chat with them and see yourself
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can send u their website and u can chat
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On the online

I'm sorry that is more than we can do on this site. It is an educational site only. We can't cross over the line where it looks like we are being legal representatives.

All I can say is that there are many many successful people who developed work and were sued. They kept going and have been wildly successful. Biggest example J.K Rowling. Her work was turned down dozens of times, and when it started taking off she was sued for copyright infringement. Her publisher not only defended her but they won.

When you find the right people to believe in you and back your project these things will fall into place.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well what type of question should I ask for the studios about copyright insurance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
U said they have insurance

When you have someone interested in buying your show you one of the things you will talk to them about will be this issue, just as you raised it here. You will be asking them about up front money, residual money, merchandising revenue, and liability protection for the intellectual property. There are many other issues that you will be discussing with them to. That is why you need to hire an Agent to represent you Once you have someone interested in buying your show.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But even I'm still creator I could get sued easily
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Amozan studio saids they have copyright agents can that help

I appreciate your concerns I just don't know what else I can tell you on this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No they told me on the chat they have copyright agents can that help

I don't know what Amazon does in this area. Perhaps they can help you.

Copyright is a complicated area and there are exceptions to the law in some areas that allow a certain amount of copying for comment. Also ideas are not copyright protected just how the ideas are expressed in a fixed media, like paper, or video.

So again, unless youactually copy other peoples works - that is use their words, and their scenes, you are probably okay.

If Amazon indicates that they help with this you can talk to them. But I do not know what they do.

I have told you that once you have a serious buyer that you should have an agent.

I do not know what else I can tell you. We are repeating ourselves.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh ok thank u

Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks let u know anything
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told that my show I may not be sued for millions just munch lower like 100,000$

Good luck with your project.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is true what I said

Although I do not have a crystal ball, I don't think you will be sued, and I think you are worrying on things that will not occur.

Remember IDEAS are not copyright protected, only their expression in a fixed medium. There are many many stories of talking teddy bears, that did not prevent TED from being made. You can not copy another's work, use their words and pictures. But just because there is a similar story already in existence does not prevent your story from going forward.

If you keep projecting your fear you will not proceed with your project. As we previously discussed, get your project sold then get an Agent, and discuss IP protection with the producer who buys it.

As far as liability insurance, yes there are all levels of insurance.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
u are saying I should get copyright lawyer right now

No. I was saying get your project sold and hire an Agent to represent you in the sale of the project. Discuss with the Agent what protections you need. BUT if you want to hire a Copyright Attorney Now, perhaps that would be a good way for you to alleviate your anxiety.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But where to get anget
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
From their studioThey contact by emails

See:

https://www.wgaeast.org/resources/agents-agencies/

https://goodinaroom.com/blog/get-literary-agent/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh it's too bad the studio can give me agent or their own copyright lawyer

The studio does not supply you an attorney or agent, but they may make a referral for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Referral what that??

They may give you a name of an Agent/Attorney that they are familiar with.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is that good or bad for me
How munch
What does it do for me
Will I still get sued but I really doubt any where over 100,000$
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That what I was told
I wouldn't be sued any way high as millions
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A movie critic told me that

You clearly need someone who understands the business side of creative work.

Look at the links I sent you.

I don't know why a movie critic is telling you you are going to be sued. But you are convinced that you are going to be sued. I don't know what else to tell you. We are going in circles.

Contact a local Copyright Attorney and discuss it with them. They will charge you about $500.00 to talk to you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the movie critic told me I wouldn't be sued for over 100,000$

That is the Statutory Damages Amount if there are no actual damages proven. So that is fairly accurate.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

The Critic is not wrong about the probable amount.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Really

The Copyright Law allows for $100,000 in damages in certain circumstances. But again this is going in circles. If a studio wants to buy your project they will take care of these issues - assuming it is a legitimate studio. They do not want to be sued for producing a project that has infringed on someone else's work. So they look into the project and arrange to protect it.

If they want your work they will cover you. Ask for it in the contract.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yah make sense total sense

Excellent.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lol
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
U are copyright lawyer aren't u?

I am retired and no longer practice. I have done Copyright work, have received a scholarship award for it, and am also a published author. So I am aware of the issues that concern you.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cool
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did u do any movies for copyright

No. Sorry. But I have friends in the Movie business. The legitimate studios look to protect themselves and the projects they invest in.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Could name few that they have done

Biggest Loser, Duck Dynasty, something with one of the professional wrestlers.

I don't want to be rude, but I have to go offline. If you respond it keeps the question open. I appreciate your support and positive rating. I hope I can help you in the future, but I have to go now.

Thank you.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald