Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I am a member of a nonprofit group and we are planning an…

Customer Question
I am a member...

I am a member of a nonprofit group and we are planning an event using our name, Wisdoms Amazing Race. It is modeled after the tv show but apecific to the causes we are serving. We have been using the phrase since 2015, but we are unsure if we should trademark or service mark the event

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the trademark federally registered?

I did a name search and did not find it

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have been doing programming under the theme One Sisterhood three causes for lupus, domestic violence and breast cancer awareness. This race will benefit those causes through local agencies that we are partnered with

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/21/2017
IP Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

The down side to registering the mark come in the form of time, paperwork, and filing fees. The upsides are as follows:(i) it grants the right to use the registered trademark symbol: ®, (ii) it grants the right to file a trademark infringement lawsuit in federal court and to obtain monetary remedies, including infringer’s profits, damages, costs, and, in some cases, treble damages and attorneys’ fees, (iii) it acts as a bar to the registration of another confusingly similar mark, and (iv) it may serve as the basis for an international trademark application.

Please Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so I am compensated for this answer. Thank you.

If we are done, please assign a positive feedback rating on this. Without that, I am not paid by Just Answer. Thank you.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer