Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I received notice of copyright infringement from an

I received notice of...

I received notice of copyright infringement from an pornographic website that I once subscribed to in 2011. The claim is that I uploaded their property to a torrent site. (I do not even know how to do that.) I was offered a $12,500 settlement offer to make it go away. If I do not settle, I will be subpoenaed to Chicago. I am a 68 year old man who could care less if anyone knows I watch porn. However, I live on $2,000 per month in Social Security and am battling colon cancer. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?

Illinois.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No. I only received the notice on Friday. (I have two weeks to settle.)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I live in San Francisco and cannot afford to go to Chicago.

1/15/2017
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

People are very rarely sued after getting these letters and the law is gradually being changed to where the practice will stop. What I would recommend is visiting with a local lawyer and getting them to write a letter in response for you denying all allegations and threatening sanctions and potentially bar complaints if this is pursued. The cost for this letter will be minimal, if anything.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

dainne-cssm
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. http://www.justanswer.com/intellectual-property-law/a5ogq-received-notice-copyright-infringement.html. Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.

Also, as I indicated above, please ask any additional questions you have in this thread. You asked "What should I do?" and I gave you the least expensive, most cost effective route. However, if you have any other follow ups, don't want to follow that route and want to discuss others, etc. then feel free to ask about it by posting in this thread.

JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer