Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I'm putting up an online store, and I thought it would be

Customer Question
I'm putting up an online...
I'm putting up an online store, and I thought it would be neat to have a blog about the Grateful Dead. I've put up several YouTube videos and lyrics. It just occurred to me that I could be sued for copyright infringement. Could I be sued? What's the likelihood of that happening?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida. Gainesville to be exact.
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: Nothing has been filed in court. No, I haven't talked to an attorney yet. It just occurred to me this morning.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/5/2017
IP Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience. I also happen to be a published author and have received scholarship recognition on copyright law issues. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You can be sued for posting the lyrics without permission. That is a copyright violation.

You Tube obtains licenses for the videos posted for artists. So if you are simply linking to the YouTube page that is NOT a copyright infringement, Also the Courts have looked at mere simple linking as a protected Fair Use. See this article for more details on this subject:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/linking-copyrighted-materials

There are companies that "Troll" the internet looking for infringing material and they make a living bringing infringement actions on behalf of copyright holders. Some of these trolls are scams and some are legitimate. In either case dealing with them is a bit of a nightmare. So if you can avoid the potential infringement you are better off.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Of course you could obtain permission from the copyright holder. That is the safest route.

If you are interested in licensing from the Grateful Dead contact:

Sara Nemerov***@******.***
75 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10019(###) ###-####/p>

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer