Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

I have a seasoning blend i created, I want to bottle and

Customer Question

I have a seasoning blend i created, I want to bottle and sell it. Do I have to get it tested for calories, fat content, ingredients etc? What kind of labeling do I need to have other then my logo?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: I don't have any just my recipe. But a friend told me i have to get a chemist or something to test the blend
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no i havent
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No i have a professional kitchen to work out of but didnt know what else i had to do to be able to start to bottle and sell this product.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 10 months ago.

The Nutrition Labeling and Education Act (NLEA), which amended the FD&C Act requires most foods to bear nutrition labeling and requires food labels that bear nutrient content claims and certain health messages to comply with specific requirements.

Under FDA's laws and regulations, FDA does not pre-approve labels for food products. Questions concerning the labeling of food products may be directed to the Food Labeling and Standards Staff (HFS-820), Office of Nutrition, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Food and Drug Administration,***** College Park, MD###-##-#### Telephone:(###) ###-####

Needless to say, this is a complex subject.The following is the FDA 's on line information and guidelines source:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm2006828.htm

For more specific instructions go to:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064866.htm

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried to give you 5 stars but it doesn't seem to take .

Thanks. It should work now.