Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I sell books that i write and publish. a school district in

Customer Question
colorado purhased one of our...
i sell books that i write and publish. a school district in colorado purhased one of our books on Nov. 11. On Jan. 8 the Superintendent of schools uploaded our book online where anyone in the world can download it for free,
JA: The ip attorney's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: does the atty need paid to tell us if we have a case
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: my queary saiid colorado
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no and no I am sending a cease and desist letter on monday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the book has a copyright
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/5/2016
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
That is a violation of your copyright. While the school can use some small segments of your book for educational purposes under fair use, they have committed a copyright infringement in uploading the book as they have done. A copyright violation is up to $150,000 per violation plus attorney's fees.
I personally would also send a DMCA takedown notice to the website provider in addition to getting yourself a local attorney and suing the school and school district for copyright infringement. Here is a sample DMCA takedown: http://icaadocs.mfah.org/icaadocs/Portals/0/Copyright/SAMPLE%20DMCA%20TAKEDOWN%20NOTICE.pdf
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer