How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33373
Experience:  18 years experience
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wrote and an article and it was published to over 10,000

Customer Question

Hello, I wrote and an article and it was published to over 10,000 readers. I did not sign any agreement knowingly concerning copyright regarding this article. What can I do to secure the rights to this article for a future book deal?
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: The article has already been published
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No I haven't done anything or spoken to any attorneys regarding this article.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I don't see a down arrow..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to make nobody else can steal this article since it is now in its second printing phase.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 8 months ago.

Without an agreement to the contrary, the writer/author of an article automatically has a copyright created at the instant it is written.

However, it is sometimes hard to prove when it was written, that you were the one who wrote it, etc. without a formal copyright. You can get a formal copyright by applying it for it and following the steps at

That is the government office that handles copyrights and hey also have a FAQ page at

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions