montysimmons
montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor
Experience:  Electrical Engineer, South Carolina Attorney, Member of US Patent Bar
9204196

I am in the process of writing a story about my deceased

Customer Question

I am in the process of writing a story about my deceased brother's life who passed away in 1986. When I complete my interviews of the people who associated with him for this story are they to be paid by me, the publisher, or just the author who would get the credit for writing the book? I notice in a lot of books, the author thanks the people who had contributed to some of the contents of the book. Thanks
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  montysimmons replied 10 months ago.

I can help you with this question.

YOU ASK
"are they to be paid by me, the publisher, or just the author who would get the credit for writing the book?"

ANSWER

It can be any of the above. It depends on the deal you make. The people you interview may not charge anything, if they do, you could make a deal with them at the time of the interview concerning payment. You can make any deal the parties will agree to.

I have a feeling I have not fully answered your question. If not, please keep asking questions until you are satisfied with the answer.

Please let me know if you need additional information.