Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

How does domain hosting work? What are the leading domain

Customer Question
name hosts and do I...
How does domain hosting work? What are the leading domain name hosts and do I have to go through them to buy a domain name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
9/3/2016
IP Lawyer: FamilyAttorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAttorney

Hello. I’m a family lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues. I look forward to helping you today. At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me, as I am not an employee of this site but an independent contractor, so that's the only way I get credit for my time here today—this is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney.

The way domain hosting works is that you are renting server space from the hosting company and they put your domain on their server. They are the company that gets your website or blog to go live. You do NOT have to purchase a domain name from the hosting company. You can buy that separately, like I've done in the last few days for my husband's business.

There are many different hosting companies and I'll share a bunch with you. I'll be right back to get them.

There are so many different hosting company, and there are pages and pages of them on Google. You can go through them and see how they are rated. I will leave a list of some of these for you.

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/

http://www.consumer-rankings.com/hosting/?vn=lp3-hostingstep-fbs&a=144&c=101544&s1=338707576.395988548&agid=6554459043&s4=c&s3=e.g.104485988163&s6=9002844&ls=g

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424725,00.asp -- scroll down

http://www.hostingadvice.com/reviews/

As you see, a lot of them are repeated in other posts. It's really a matter of preference. I've used GoDaddy before, and it's been fine, just a little more expensive than the others. As long as a hosting site has the following you should be okay:

visibility to search engines

lots of storage

email

SEO

ability to take your domain name

These are the most important attributes. As long as they have these, they will be fine. Go Daddy has everything I needed and many of these have different plans, so you can pick the one that works for you -- such as a yearly plan, monthly plan, and you have choices of different options, some of which you may need, and some of which you don't. I don't believe GoDaddy is the best, ***** ***** does work and it has worked for my websites for many years. There are also options they give you (all hosting sites) that you may not need, so go thru it carefully before you pay more than you need.

Does this answer your question?

Some also come with money-back guarantees, although most do not, but you also want one with 24/7 support. I think that's crucial. You want someone there at 3 am to answer your hosting questions. Make sure the hosting company you choose takes your domain name, OR if you feel better about it, you can pick your domain name through the same company. I picked my domain names from GoDaddy, although Namecheap.com is cheaper for names. But, in the past, I've used Go Daddy for everything, including a name and the hosting, so it was easy to have everything in one spot. Some of these hosting companies have free domain names too, so you can check with them as well. Go Daddy's domain name is ***** ***** Namecheap is cheaper than Go Daddy for the domain name but you have to make sure that the hosting site allows you to bring your own domain name over to the hosting site. If you want an all-in-one hosting site and domain name, check the listings I gave you here. Go Daddy is on one of them, but it's not the best because it's more expensive but it is easy to use.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions. I have several websites that I use, and as I said we're building one for my husband's new business, which is an IT business. I'm not an IT expert, but this is an intellectual property question and I want to help you get the best you can for the money. Please check the ratings and see what each site offers. I have given you a lot to choose from.

Please let me know if you need any more information, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me. If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you and best of luck to you!

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I am always happy to answer more questions for you. Have a great weekend!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I saw a website name i want and go daddy said for a fee they will see if they can get it for me but that fee is charged whether or not they are successful. Would it be possible for me to find the domain name owner directly and see if they would sell that name to me? And how does that transaction work?

Be careful before using GoDaddy because I don't think their customer service is always available and I don't know if they have support 24/7.

You don't have to pay to find out if a name is ***** ***** is a free service that most sites provide. I checked to see if ladyesq.com was available and it showed me it wasn't. But it also showed me other choices, so click on search again and see what you come up with. Don't pay for that -- it's free!

Here's the link: https://www.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=ladyesq.com

Hit search again and put in your own desired domain name.

If you want one that is already taken, I'd strongly recommend that you find something similar. It is going to cost you an arm and a leg to get one that is already taken. That's because the site will try to bargain with them to release it and pay them for it, so they're going to raise the price to you.

We wanted one for our band that was taken but we changed it a little and found something similar. Same with my photography site although I got the site first and now other people want mine but I'm not selling it. You can talk to the domain owner directly but they would have to release it to you and you'd need a contract with them to make sure you legally own that name once they sell it to you. It's probably not worth it.

For example, a few years back we had a band named Freeze Frame, like the J. Geils song. We wanted that but there were many others that were similar that were taken as well as that one. We ended up with freezeframebandsite.com so we changed it a bit. That band has "disbanded" but we have a new band and right now just have a FB page instead of a website.

I searched again for ladyesq.com on namecheap.com. I know it's not available. It came up with other similar names, but it also came up with "make an offer" for ladyesq.com if I really wanted it.

I would suggest you plug your desired name into namecheap.com and see if you can find out if it's available. If not, you can make an offer, or change it to something similar. Sometimes, putting in a - or _ is enough to change it. An old band of mine was undercover-band.com. We needed the hyphen because someone else had undercoverband.

Here's the site:

https://www.namecheap.com/domains/registration/results.aspx?domain=ladyesq.com this was the name I used, you can see how they offer you to make a bid for it

https://www.namecheap.com/ here's the original site -- don't ever pay to see if a name is ***** ***** it is free!

I hope this helps you! Thanks in advance for rating me. Best of luck to you!

Also, and I know this is what you're really asking -- I'd use Namecheap.com because you can make an offer for that name that you really want. It might be a lot cheaper than goDaddy. If you deal directly through Namecheap and they sell you the name, you don't have to worry about contacting the owner and getting a contract for that name. Otherwise, if you contact the owner, and he sells it to you, you will need a contract and to make sure it's legal, it would help to have an attorney. Try namecheap.com first and see if you can get the name for $50 or even $100 if you want, but some sites will charge a lot more than that for the name. I'd start low, even $25, to see if you can get that name if you really want it. You can always come up in price, but once you offer them a high price, you can't come down, so start low!

Hope that helps you with the negotiating process.

Hi, just checking in to see if you still need help with your question and if my answer was helpful for you. Thanks and thank you for allowing me to help you.

Customer/p>

One of the top hosting sites is ideahost.com and it's one that I'm currently using. They have a lot to choose from --- one or multiple email addresses, unlimited storage space, and relatively inexpensive hosting. It's included in some of the links I sent you and I picked it because it has support, is rated well, and allows multiple email addresses. That might be one you want to consider. It also has:

• unlimited bandwidth, and 1-year domain
  • FREE site builder and 1,000s of templates
  • Unlimited storage, plus 1GB of cloud storage FREE
  • 24/7 customer support available via email, phone, and chat

Another good site is templatesites.com. Many of these sites are rated well and have free templates. Hosting is extra but this is another site that might work for you.

Note that hosting is always an extra fee but it's a needed service.

FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer