How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Reese Your Own Question
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3466
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Alex Reese is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today I just found out that my company website was served a

Customer Question

Today I just found out that my company website was served a takedown notice earlier this year. I found out by randomly googling my company name and looking at the bottom of the search results I discovered the dmca take down notice. I have google webmaster tools for my company website, but I never received a noticed that there was a takedown notice. I also never received notice from the accusing company who filed the take down notice. The takedown notice requested google to remove 1 site url from the search results and referenced a few sentences on the page. To avoid any issues, I rewrote the entire section and updated the page url. I would like to notify the company and google that I removed the offending content from my website and I would like to remove the dmca notice from the search results. What is the process to get the dmca notice removed and to resolve this issue?
so-called offending page and rewritten the infringing content. What is the process to remove the dmca notice from the google search result?
Submitted: 10 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is the link to the dmca notice here: background information. I offer small business web design and development services in GA. I contacted The Logo Company earlier in a year about outsourcing any logo design requests from my web development company. I used a description of their services in my faqs page. They submitted a dmca notice on 2-3 sentences found in my faqs section. I only wanted to supply accurate information to my clients. It was easy enough for me to rewrite the offending content and update the page slug. Not too sure if that was the right thing to do. That is why I need advice.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello Mr. Reese.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

Hello sorry there was a problem, my response didn't go through...

Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

So you did the right thing by changing your content so that it is not in violation, but if in fact you did not comply or respond in the first place, then the offending material would have been taken down anyway.

Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

You should contact both Google and your ISP regarding the matter, have you tried that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It doesn't appear that the ISP is involved. It appears that the complaint was written to google to remove the page from the search results. I am trying to figure out what form to use on google's site to let them know that I have removed the content. There is a counter notice form, but the language on that form is very threatening. It appears to be for people who will not remove the content in question and want to go to court. My situation isn't that serious. I have no problem in removing the content.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying to determine the correct process to get this resolved and to do the right thing, but also protect my reputation. If there is a form on google to resolve, I need to fill out the correct form to resolve the issue and protect myself.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This form here appears to be the only counter-form I see referenced in google's help:
This seems to me to be the wrong form to sign.
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you are correct, that form is for those that are contesting the take down notice, which doesn't apply here (you are past that and are not disputing anything), so this is beyond the normal process (i.e. no form that applies). There is no spcial form or language here, so as long as you can contact the right person/dept. then you can just explain in your own words the status of the situation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You mean contact the company who filed the complaint? I can do that. Once I explain to them my actions, what can I expect from them as far as course of action so that google can remove the remarks from my search results page?
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

You can and should definitely do that, because it will reassure them (and you have nothing to lose/hide), you can even ask them if there is anything they can do on their end to resolve the matter

Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

But if you don't see way to contact google about the matter via your Google tools then I suggest contacting a general phone # or email to get you in touch with the right dept.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is no process in place with Google that allows me to alert them that I have resolved the matter? I am also worried about getting penalized by google behind the scenes concerning my site's visibility in the search engines.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've read countless articles on their site but no direct contact information for this situation.
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

I have never seen a contact for this situation either, but I think if you get a hold of someone in a related dept, they can get you in touch with the right dept, that has worked in my past experience in related matters.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try that first thing in the morning. I will post my results here hopefully with good news. Thanks for your help. I am signing off for now.
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 10 months ago.

yes, best of luck! that should work

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions