Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I need to create a provisional patent for an online software

Customer Question
program that I have created...
I need to create a provisional patent for an online software program that I have created. I want to go and sell the program to other businesses and protect my idea, without them taking my software and doing it themselves.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
8/18/2016
IP Lawyer: KJL LAW, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I will answer your question.
To protect your idea you should file the provisional patent. This provisional patent process is a great way to start because it is cheaper to prepare (because there are no formal requirements) and the filing fee due to the United States Patent Office at the time of filing is only $130 for small entities (i.e., individuals, and companies with 500 or fewer employees). The filing is done online and you should have drawing and a schematic prepared for the filing. Many people use on line companies to assist with the provisional filing because of the complex requirements needed for the filing.
the provisional patent application is less involved than when filing you must adequately describe the software and its application. The provisional application's filing date remains valid even after the full non provisional application is later filed, which is a great benefit.

Any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking, or I will not get paid for helping you.

KJL LAW
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer