How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Reese Your Own Question
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3466
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Alex Reese is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband who is deceased started creating a line of cards

Customer Question

My husband who is deceased started creating a line of greeting cards and various drawings. We, his family wish to sell them on line but need to be advised about copyrights and how we can protect them. He passed away January 16th 2010.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

I suggest you get the copyright registered on each greeting card and other materials that you believe may be copied by other and commercialized etc. Copyright applications are fairly easy to do and cost about $40 per application, see for instructions and online filing

Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

having a registered copyright makes your legal protection much stronger, and practically, even though copyright is suppose to arise automatically upon creation, it isn't of much value unless registered. A registered copyright is required to file a copyright infringement lawsuit and to get statutory damages (otherwise you have to prove your damages, which is usually not easy and requires a lot more $$$ spent on litigation/lawyers)