Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I want to trademark a name for business purposes, how do I

Customer Question
see if anyone has it...
I want to trademark a name for business purposes, how do I see if anyone has it already and then register it if they don't? Thanks so much!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
7/29/2016
IP Lawyer: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I find your query of interest, but it seems to have been categorized wrongly by the system. To let you know that we are working on your question, I thought I should post and let you know that I have already recommended that your question be placed into a different category.

But perhaps, meanwhile, I can help you. Are you interested in just finding-out about previous possible registration of a trademark phrase or name? or do you need to know about legal ramifications?

It might help me (or whatever Expert gives you the answer) if you could tell me a bit more, specifically, in what jurisdiction the trademarking would be registered? a national-scope US registration, perhaps?

Please let me know, in Reply To Expert. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Russell...it won't let me ask the same question. Are you able to pass it on to preferably an intellectual property attorney? (guessing that's the closest)

The change of category, to legal / intellectual property law, has been done.

I have Opted Out of this case, opening it to appropriate Experts in that category. Thank you for your patience.

IP Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Searching to see if a trademark has been registered is reasonably easy. The US government h as a searchable website at http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database . That page describes the search and then the link to the actual search is at the top of the page.

The website allows you to do a search for words, which is what most people want to search for. You can also do a search for a mark (ex. the animal shown as the Exxon tiger) but that is quite a bit more complicated.

The webpage I gave you above also has information on registering your trademark. You can go through the forms there although many people find them to be complex. If that's he case then you can go to a site like legalzoom.com and they can provide you with the forms to use that have already been filled out.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer