Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

There's a new company just over the border from us in Canada

Customer Question
that is infringing on our...
There's a new company just over the border from us in Canada that is infringing on our company name and have registered a domain name almost identical to ours. We just found out that they are approaching the manufacturers we work with in order to replicate our business. I'm not sure what to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2016
IP Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Is this company located in another jurisdiction? Is the company in Canada?

Do you have any type of exclusive written agreement with the manufacturer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My company is located in Seattle, WA and the other company we just discovered is operating just over the border in British Columbia, Canada. We do have agreements with our manufacturers but I'm less concerned about them selling the same items as I am about them using the exact same name as our company.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Our company:
www.adventure-ready.comTheir company (new website still under construction):
www.adventurereadyinc.comNotice that they've opted for a .com address not a normal canadian .ca address.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, there is no law that would prevent a company in a different state or country from using names similar or the same that are registered in another jurisdiction and as long as, the company with a similar name doesn't try to represent itself as the original company or use contact information of the original company I am afraid there would generally not be any legal recourse.

Unfortunately, the same goes for the websites and web addresses.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Thank you

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer