Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I have a copyright on a game that I invented in 1979-1980.

Customer Question
The game name was Terra...
I have a copyright on a game that I invented in 1979-1980. The game name was Terra but as the years have gone by I chose to rename the game Countdown. I recently found a man who has digitized the game. My questions are relatively simple: 1. Do I need to file another copyright with the new name? Since the game has been digitized do I need to copyright it as well? Since a Trademark is not to expensive would a trademark provide me additional protection? 4. Last question, since we live in a global market place are there any other measures I should take to protect myself from having the game pirated overseas? Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
6/17/2016
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

hello. Copyright does not protect names, but a trademark can. So no, you would not file a new copyright for the name change, because the name does not matter for copyright purposes. Copyright protect specific creative aspects of works that are fixed in a tangible medium, so if you create an original digitized version of your own then you can copyright it.

At this stage, I would not be too concerned with overseas activities, because you need have to have a lot of resources to pursue infringement overseas. But you can file copyrights & trademarks overseas if you like to strengthen your protection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alex, Lets make sure I understand. Copyright is unnecessary as far as protecting the name of the game;however, the original copyright should protect the rules of the game and its digital version? Trademark protects name but when I file for the Trademark, the Trademark will protect the name? What protects the game board and pieces; they are much the same. If I have a Trademark on the physical game, it should transfer over to the digital game? You did not answer he question about avoiding oversea piracy. I may call once I hear back from you. Is this $59 in addition to the first amount?

yes, copyright does not relate to the name

the rules and written materials will be protected by copyright regardless of the medium

copyright can also protect the game pieces and board if they are original/creative

not much you can do about overseas piracy except maybe file copyrights/TMs in some countries of interest.

You cannot get TM rights in any country unless you are doing business/known in that country

phone calls are extra yes

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer