Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

If I design a logo icon independantly without directly

Customer Question
copying from another icon designer...
If I design a logo icon independantly without directly copying from another icon designer I assume I have immediate copyright protection wether I want it or not. But, as many millions of stock icons have been supposedly copyrighted, what happens if I independenly create the same icon as someone else, but maybe he created it first?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to go to bed soon. I work second shift. We may have to talk another time.
5/26/2016
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you create an icon that has previously been designed by someone else (we see so many things out there today that there is no way we can remember them all and sometimes a person will design something and it turns out to be something they saw a long time ago without even remembering they saw it). In the case you describe, if there is a pre existing icon that is the same, the first one used in commerce is the one with the copyrights/trademark rights.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im awake and have time if someone wants to call me. I only have a llittle better than an hour before I leave for work.
Thank you for your reply. Check your email for a premium offer for you to accept before we can call you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer