Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I have been writing a cookbook friend

Customer Question
Hello, I have been writing a...
I have been writing a cookbook for a friend for over two and a half months and I am not sure what I should do. They are his families recipes and I put in a couple of my own. I need to know how this type of thing works. He is not telling me how he wants to pay me and I am very concerned about this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/14/2016
IP Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Is there a specific question with which I could assist?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you recommend that I do? I have put so much time into this and I am not sure how copyright laws work .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His famly has written most of the recipes and I was the only one willing to take the time to type them up. He is somewhat if a high profile person and I don't want to be taken to the cleaners. So to speak.
What you do about what? I don't understand your concerns. I have written and published a number of different items both under my own name and as a ghost writer and so I'm familiar with most issues but I do need to know what is concerning you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know anything about how this works with a ghost writer or what ever you want to call it.
Are you concerned that he won't pay you, that you would be violating someone else's copyright, are you wondering what you have to do to get a copyright, etc?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have put in a lot of personality to the book
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes I am concerned that he won't pay me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know nothing about copyright laws I need to know if I can copyright it even though they are his family recipes.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get a very distinct feeling that he is not going to pay me for writing it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Never mind I guess this is just another way for people to make money from others and their issues with others and being used.
Yes, you can copyright it. A recipe itself isn't protected, just the actual language used in writing the recipe. As to making sure you are paid, that is a simple breach of contract issue. If you don't have a written contract then you could sue based on the oral contract. If you didn't agree that he will own the copyright on the book then it will belong to you even if he pays you for it.The copyright "attaches" as soon as the page is written. While you can file for a formal copyright, just writing it along makes something copyrighted and protected.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you that is all I needed to know gave a wonderful weekend ! 😃
Great, I'm always glad to know that I could help someone. Copyright law sounds a lot harder than it actually is. Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you so very much Dwayne!
You're very welcome!
JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer