Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I filed trademark in July of 2013 and was registered

Customer Question

I filed for a trademark in July of 2013 and was registered in July of 2014. In June of 2014 I had a legal Trademark incident, and I would love to know if someone violated my trademark in June of 2014 which is still prior to the registration date but after filing, would that be considered as a trademark infringement?
Was i allowed to make claims to the other party that this was in trademark violation?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. 1) What specifically did you trademark (word, phrase, symbol, or design, etc)?2) What happened with the incident?3) Has the other party stopped what they were doing, or are they still infringing on your trademark? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a design that is basically a company logo.
The other party made claims that they are selling a product with our logo on it. And now they say that because the trademark was not registered then, they are not in trademark violation.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. -So they are continuing to do this then, right?-And is their logo also trademarked, or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No this is what they're doing, they are selling a product manufactured by me, and they made claims that the manufacturer customized watermarks for them on the packaging, in my opinion this would put them in violation of trademark, making claims in regards ***** ***** products.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.
Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.
My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...