socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I write songs. I have put together a song that is similar to

Customer Question

I write songs. I have put together a song that is similar to one written in the 1930's. song title is different. the lyrics are similar with references to a different generation; ala mother to grandmother, or daddy to poppy. is this a problem? Can I try to copyright? Thanks.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You can register any song with the copyright office. The office won't listen to the music to determine if there is infringement. It's up to any challenger to do that. Songs written before 1923 are in the public domain. Many songs written in the 1930s did not have their copyright renewed. The only way to be certain if you are infringing is to thoroughly investigate the history of the original song, and then have an expert compare the original to your new song, and provide you with an opinion. That's something that would have to be done outside of this forum, because it's a bona fide legal service. If that's something you're interested in, please let me know and I'll send you a premium services invitation (customary legal services fees will apply). If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!