Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

My wife and I have started a non profit org. we will like to

Customer Question
get a book publish. I...
My wife and I have started a non profit org. we will like to get a book publish. I have a book publishing company. can i publish this book throuh my publishing company?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
4/21/2016
IP Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
N Cal Attorney
Thank you for your question. I assume there are no disinterested directors of the nonprofit. There is always an issue called self-dealing when a non-profit makes a contract with a director of the non-profit. It would usually have to be approved by vote of the non-interested directors, but if you and your spouse are the only directors, that cannot happen. If your publishing company agreed to publish the book at cost without taking any profit, that would undermine any argument that you had engaged in self-dealing. I hope this information is helpful.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate you.
If you are satisfied, please remember to rate my answer as 3 or higher; otherwise my time here is not compensated.
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer