Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I have an IP law question. I am working with someone that is

Customer Question
I have an IP law...
I have an IP law question.
I am working with someone that is filing a patent for a product design. The idea for the overall product is theirs, but there are design elements that are my idea. I have asked if I will be on the patent since I have invented some physical aspects. I was told, by email in Oct 2015 that of course I will be on patent. Yesterday I was asked to review part of the patent, my invention, and help to fix the wording. I noticed I am not on the patent. I asked if my name will be added and I was told that they are filing this the patent now because we will be shipping product soon. But this is just a place holder and they will do a separate patent for my invention. Now, my question is, how can my invention be patented separately after it is already included in this patent that does not include me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/31/2016
IP Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

It appears that they are trying to steal your invention by filing for patent protection before you do. However, U.S. patent law is unique because it is based on a "first to invent" system rather than a "first to file" system. This means that as long as you invented first [and have the paperwork/proof to show this], you can petition the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to declare an interference proceeding. Then, if you are declared the first inventor, the USPTO will invalidate their patent and declare you the first inventor. This will then give you the right to file for patent protection in your own name.

I would suggest that you gently let them know how the system really works and that they consider putting your name on the patent to avoid the time and expense of your filing of an interference proceeding.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer