How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask montysimmons Your Own Question
montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 328
Experience:  Electrical Engineer, South Carolina Attorney, Member of US Patent Bar
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
montysimmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I register the name of a musical group?

Customer Question

how do I register the name of a musical group?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  montysimmons replied 1 year ago.

I should be able to help you with this question.

I need a little more information. Please describe what your "goal" is with regard to registering.

Are you trying to register a trademark, a legal entity (such as a corporation or LLC), copyrights . . .

Thank you in advance for your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to register the name so no one else can steal it and use it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really don't think there would be a lot of interest in stealing it, but if I can get it registered I could feel I have dibs on it.
Expert:  montysimmons replied 1 year ago.

Well, the best way to protect a name is ***** *****

If no other musical group is using the same name or a confusingly similar name you should have no problem.

Filing cost about $300 (government fee) - you could try to file it yourself.

Here is a link to the USPTO - where you file for the trademark:

You will find information at the link provided to help file.

If you need help, please come back and ask and if you still have questions please keep asking until you are satisfied with my answers.

Good luck.

Expert:  montysimmons replied 1 year ago.

If you need additional help please ask more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. when I'm ready I think I'll do it myself. Is it the same office that would copy write a song?

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions