Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

Game developer who created a game has signed a contract with

Customer Question

Game developer who created a game has signed a contract with a publisher and with his partner (producer), but ceases his development. The developer is the creator of the game but has a business partner (producer) of the game who took over since the game, developer stopped working on the game. The producer proceeded with hiring other developers and artists to continue the project. According to the contract, the publisher will terminate the agreement when the party becomes insolvent or ceases prod
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the contract, the publisher will terminate the agreement when the party becomes insolvent or ceases production. However, the developer still receives revenue share even after he stopped the development. Both him and his partner have rights to the game. Does him having the copyright to the game overrides the agreement of the contract? Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

A copyright and a contract/agreement are two entirely different things. Is there a specific issue that you had questions about?