Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in intellectual property law
14461494

I have been talking with a previous lawyer about a problem

Customer Question

Hello! i have been talking with a previous lawyer about a problem with defamation and libel. One of the problems I am having is that somebody is posting pictures of me on back page in the escort section. I am in NO WAY involved in this business, the photos are being posted without my permission and I have contacted both back page and the poster with no progress. As a note, he has not posted any watermarked photos of me, only photos on my modeling page that I had taken myself. Here was the response from Back Page. "Please provide us with the URL link of the online portfolio or website where your original images are located." . I have a 'modeling portfolio' which is really just a website gallery with my name and a collection of photos of me, taken both by myself and other professional photographers (those of which are watermarked). I do not have an official copyright on any of these images as they are mostly selfies or professionally done photos. Do you happen to know if this portfolio would give me the rights to the photos that are being posted of me? I have asked back page several times and they will not answer my question. They only ask for the URL link. and as you can imagine since I gave one person this link and all of my photos ended up on back page I do not want to give them the link as well until i know it will solve my problem.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

hello. if you took the photos then you have the copyright, if someone else took them then you do not (unless you specifically had them transferred to you). regardless, this is more than a copyright issue because someone is using your image improperly, so there are issues of right of publicity (unauthorized use of your image for commercial purposes) as well as defamation....and those claims exist regardless of whether you own the copyrights in the photos. Assuming they understand the nature of your concern and this improper use, and have done nothing, as a next step you may need to have an attorney send them a more serious letter because their response does not sound reasonable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of attorney should I seek out for these problems?
Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

any attorney that does civil litigation should be able to assist you (and that is a large category of attorneys)...preferably having experience with defamation/internet issues, but this won't be very complex

Expert:  Alex Reese replied 1 year ago.

any attorney that does civil litigation should be able to assist you (and that is a large category of attorneys)...preferably having experience with defamation/internet issues, but this won't be very complex.

let me know if you need clarification and please rate me so I get credit, thanks