How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kendell Kelly, Esq Your Own Question
Kendell Kelly, Esq
Kendell Kelly, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 588
Experience:  Lawyer practicing in all areas of intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and new media.
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Kendell Kelly, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a photographer. I just found out that a photograph I

Customer Question

I am a photographer. I just found out that a photograph I took is being used on a newly released book, written by a local author.
I was not asked, and did not give permission to use the photograph.
I talked to the author and he claims that his daughter took the photograph and gave it to him.
The photograph has been published before with my permission, both online and in print.
I still have the electronic negatives.
Should I send him a letter demanding payment?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Kendell! Happy to help! Please remember that this is a tool for information only, we cannot give you legal advice and thus cannot tell you what to do or not (since that is prohibited).This should not be considered a attorney-client relationship. Also, please reserve your feedback until we have fully answered your question -- I will stick with you until we do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you will want to send him a formal letter to 1) put him on notice of the infringement and 2) start a proper file for yourself. Additionally, if you have not federal registered your photograph, you will want do that -- there is a three month period that must lapse before you will be eligible for full damages from the time of registration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But registration of an image in not required, as I'm aware. Unless under a contract at the time, the copyright belongs to the photographer automatically, correct?
Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

It does not have to be registered, but the damages are limited to actual losses rather than increased statutory damages. (see:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, thank you.
Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

So yes, you are correct!! However, a $39 registration gives you way much more threatening power!

Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No problem! Happy to help!! Please rate your answer so my time is credited -- should you feel your current rating would be anything less than Good, make sure to give me the opportunity to fix it!!


Use of this service does not create an attorney-client relationship. Inasmuch, our conversation is merely informational and should be used to find an attorney licensed in your local area that can further assist you.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions