Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Sir, I am in the process of making a audio drama that is…

Customer Question
Sir, I am in...
Sir, I am in the process of making a audio drama that is based of a novel I am currently writing. I have not completed my novel and the audio drama is in the beginning stages of production. Are both works as a whole eligible for copyright?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
2/23/2016
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

hello. yes, each would be covered by its own copyright, which arises automatically upon creation of the work...BUT for stronger protection, you should definitely register the copyrights for each once they are complete, it is a fairly easy and cheap process...only about $40 fee per registration and you can file online at www.copyright.gov

there are numerous benefits to registration....for example, in order to file a copyright lawsuit, or get statutory damages (no need to prove damages), the works must be registered.