Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Times of India published AND printed an answer I wrote on…

Customer Question
Times of India published AND...
Times of India published AND printed an answer I wrote on Quora, without permission. Quora policy does my seem to cover them for print and distribution with no permission. They also changed the question, which misled the readers to feel it was a racist answer, rather than an answer based on a specific question.
I'm in the U.S., but they claim to follow international copywriter and plagiarism laws. I'm already in contact with them and they piously claim to be beyond reproach.
Do I have any legal recourse to have them 1-print a retraction and an apology and properly present btgecquestion and answer 2-pay for the work they printed and distributed without permission?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
2/23/2016
IP Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Quora contributors retain ownership over content they contribute, but, someone in your situation will likely not be able to get a retraction. Or rather, it may not be practical. Allow me to explain why.

1) Despite what some people say, there is no international copyright law. There is copyright laws in each country, and then treaties and agreements between multiple countries to recognize and give credit and enforce copyright laws of each partner country. India and USA do have a copyright agreement to recognize and enforce each other's copyright, but -

2) The problem is India's legal system. You can sue in USA and then try to enforce the judgment as foreign judgment in India. OR, you can sue in India directly. Either way, India's legal system is notoriously slow and overwhelmed. It would literally take years and thousands of dollars to enforce this. Ergo, pursuing this in Court is not or may not be a practical step to take.

3) Someone in your situation can write a letter threatening to sue - or have a local Indian attorney do so - and perhaps the newspaper will be scared enough to retract this.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!