Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I have developed a process in my Christian non-profit using…

Customer Question
I have developed a process...
I have developed a process in my Christian non-profit using a copyrighted source, but I'm using the source in a way other than intended by the source. I want to protect my use of this IP and my IP creation. What is the best way to do that? and can I ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
2/20/2016
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are using someone else's copyrighted source, regardless of whether or not you are using it in a different way, you cannot copyright it. What you are doing is making derivative use of the copyrighted source and unless you have written permission of the copyright owner, you are in violation of the copyright law for doing so.
It is not really your source, you did not create it you are just using it differently, which without permission of the owner is a violation of copyright law and you would not be able to protect your use of the source I am afraid.
You can trademark your name and copyright the layout of your site, but you cannot copyright that code, it does not belong to you.