How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 9332
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An artist I know created a piece over 12 years ago. The same

Customer Question

An artist I know created a piece over 12 years ago. The same basic piece is now being used as the logo for a tour by one of the largest rock bands of all time. The artist had allowed some companies that manufacture window stickers in the past but was unaware of the bands use of her art in their tour logo until it was readily available for viewing. Not sure if she has a copyright on the art but she is devastated that her work is being used without any recognition or compensation being offered. No attempts were made to determine the original artist prior to its use by the band. Does she have any recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

The answer is Yes.

She owns the copyright but she should register it, which she can do on line, see

She can then send a demand letter or sue for infringement. The remedies available for infringement are much better if the copyright is registered.

She can get a free consultation from some of the copyright attorneys listed by location here.

I hope this information is helpful.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions