Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Owner of Toyo Photography....I did many of the portraits of…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is***** of...
Hi, my name is***** of Toyo Photography....I did many of the portraits of the Federal Judges. I gave them a copy of all the portraits for internal use only. Supreme Court Judge Scalia just passed away and the portrait of Judge Nuygen just appeared on the Channel 5 New. I did this portrait and we have an agreement that it would only be used for internal use only. Does being on the news break that agreement. My telephone number is(###) ###-#### My company name is***** comes under the cooperate name GTOYOM INC....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
2/16/2016
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Displaying the picture on the news would not break the agreement because there is an exception in copyright law for "news reporting" and it is part of the fair use exception. So if the portrait appeared on the news in a news story, this is a copyright infringement exception as fair use.