Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Another question. You answered a question I had about a

Customer Question
Another question for you. You...
Another question for you. You answered a question I had about a copyrighted song synchronized with pics in a video made for our non-profit club to use for a club meeting. Your answer was basically ok to do such a thing. My question now is if we were to put the video on our club website for members with the password ***** view, would that be alright to do? Since our non-profit club does ask for donations to fund our charity giving (we are in the good percentage of giving back from the IRS guidelines) would it be ok for members while asking potential donors to view the video while in their presence to show them what our club does and how we give back to the community? Also, if the video was put on utube would that be ok as well? thank you for your response.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
2/12/2016
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

hello again. my answer will be the same except that the risk of exposure is increased a bit when the work is made publicly accessible on YouTube etc. If its just a password ***** site then that would not raise the risk, nor would physically showing select individuals in the members' presence....but when its made public then the risk goes up because so many more people can see it. However, I still believe that the nature & extent of your use is such that a copyright owner would not consider it a worthy or actionable infringement to pursue and my guess would be that if they found out and did anything the most likely response/resolution would be asking you to stop using it rather than demanding money or filing a lawsuit.