Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I built two websites client of mine as a favor, because we…

Customer Question
Hello, I built two websites for...
I built two websites for a client of mine as a favor, because we were friends. One of the websites has their business as the copyright, and the other business has MY business as the copyright. As a thank you they paid me $500 for the website work, and this was not agreed upon up front. We now had a falling out, and they want me to work with a new company giving them all the login, hosting information, and email setup information. I have no problem giving them the email information, but for me to waste my time doing this after they screwed me over I'm a little upset (long story how they screwed me over and used me recently). I was nice and changed the credit card hosting on the account to their credit card, so they are only charged the actual amount of hosting from the company. I just don't want my work altered and feel the new person should build a whole new website for them and point the domain to the new website. I don't want my work edited. Where do I stand legally?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/28/2016
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This type of thing just seems to happen every time friends have a falling out. Unfortunately, the work on their site copyrighted to them belongs to them and you have no say as to anyone else modifying it. As far as the other site you have copyrighted, you can prevent anyone from touching it because that is your property and you do not have to give it to them. The site they have copyrighted to them, you cannot stop them from having someone else modifying even though you may not like it.

Your copyrighted work you can offer to sell them or you can simply refuse to give them the information.

So the one that is copyrighted by them I have to give over the information but the one I copyrighted I dont?

Thank you for your reply.

That is correct. If you own the copyright on the other one, you can offer to sell them rights through a license or sell them the copyright and ownership and negotiate a price.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer