Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

To trademark a mascot, what is required? I am using a

Customer Question
picture of a dog we...
To trademark a mascot, what is required? I am using a picture of a dog we pay for usage rights from image stock or one of those places. Should we own the photo outright? Do I TM using a dog in general or the specific dog? I'm attaching a sample pose. Do I need a TM for each situation the dog is pictured in or just in general this dog in association with our industry ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/18/2016
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

You need an image of exactly what you want to trademark (e.g. the image of the dog, and nothing else) in a pdf or jpeg file, you need to identify the class of goods/services that the mark is used in, and you also need evidence of use in commerce, which can take the form of an advertisement/brochure/product label that shows the TM being used in connection with the goods/services being applied for. Yes, you should own the rights so there is no conflict. also, it would be better to have a mascot image/caricature that does not change, because the TM application can only be for a specific mark (name or logo).

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer