Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Would I need a patent attorney simple as adding a piece of

Customer Question
Would I need a patent...
Would I need a patent attorney for something simple as adding a piece of fabric to an existing style product, just to make it fit better?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/13/2016
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

hello. well if you want to patent it, or find out if its patentable, or already patented, then you should definitely see a patent attorney. another reason you may want to see a patent/IP attorney is that sometimes it can be a trademark violation to take an existing product, modify it, and sell it. however, if you are strictly at the design stage and it is a design or manufacturing issue then you don't need a patent attorney.....but if you plan to make or sell this product, or want to see if you can get any intellectual property protection on it then yes you need a patent/IP attorney.

.

For a simple invention or idea, is it possible to get a patent attorney that is not so expensive? It is not like I have invented something like Steve Jobs?
My invention is not on a technological level so I would think the patent attorney shouldn't be so expensive. I saw that attorney can cost more than $10,000. Wow! I just have a simple idea and I know how to manufacture it myself.

You can probably find a patent attorney to file a provisional patent application for around $1500-2500 depending on the detail/work required but a utility patent will usually cost $5000+ in patent attorney fees and there will be $1000+ in filing fees and draftsman costs. While you may think your invention is simple, writing a patent is always complex and time consuming so, but you can probably get a utility patent filed on a simple invention for under $6000 including costs if you use a low cost attorney....expensive attorneys/firms will charge $10k even for simple patents, much more for complex ones.

In any event the cost of patenting is very small compared to marketing, manufacturing and other aspects of starting a business or launching a product....a drop in the bucket.

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer