Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

I manufacture handmade wallets. I own two websites and two

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** manufacture handmade wallets. I own two websites and two Etsy stores. My latest handmade wallet is a design inspired by Doctor Who police box. I have handmade police box design that is very popular. I have perfected a new design and I'm working on doing a Kickstarter video to help with production. I am not going to call it Doctor Who. The wallet will be called "The Whovian 2.0" and I won't mention Doctor who in the video. Can you please help me verify this will be okay and there are no copyrights on a police box design? and it's okay for me to proceed with my Kickstarter video?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The policebox (Tardis) was argued to be a common item when BBC sought to trademark it, but according to the trademark opposition on the mark, the trademark office found that BBC COULD trademark the Tardis (https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-challenge-decision-results/o33602.pdf). Thus, if you are going to put this into commerce you would run against the BBC trademark rights which would be enforceable in the US under the trademark treaties between the UK and the US.