Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience.
77476456

Its about protecting an acronym. Should an acronym be

Customer Question

Customer: Its about protecting an acronym. Should an acronym be protected with a copyright or a trademark?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. I have 2 acronyms that I'm using in a book that I'm writing. will the copyright for the book also cover the acronyms within it? Or do I need to seek additional protection for the acronyms?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Intellectual Property Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is a slightly more complicated question than you may think. Generally speaking one cannot copyright titles, short phrases, slogans or terms such as an acronym.

However if your Acronym is integral top your book, so that it is part and parcel of the work, the copyright may extend to it, at least to some degree.

However, it generally more useful to protect an acronym through the use of the Trademark. A Trademark is used to identify and protect goods and services. You will find that many authors expand the protection of their intellectual property through the use of trademarks. In this way the term, phrase, character name, become more than part of the story. For example a comic story or movie about a talking mouse may be protected from copying by another in the context of the story. But the name Mickey Mouse, or the phrase Magic Kingdom evoke more than just the stories, but rather the entire Disney experience and brand. Thus the Trademark is used to protect those phrases because they are tied to the larger intellectual property.

In this way the Trademark is important for protecting the merchandising of products and services that tie into the book. In that regard it can be argued that the Trademark may be more valuable.

Therefore, it is more likely that the trademark of the acronym will better serve your purpose.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.