Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
10285032

My 2 year old Pomeranian dog barks when I let her out in my

Customer Question

My 2 year old Pomeranian dog barks when I let her out in my back yard 2-3 times during the daytime . This morning , like many times before , my neighbor texted me , complain about my dog barking and ask me to give the dog away if I can stop her barking
What is the state regulation about this matter ?
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The owner of a dog is not liable to stop ALL barking. The owner is liable to stop unreasonable and continuous barking. If the barking is not continuous, which the neighbor would have to prove, then there is nothing he can do and if he calls animal control to complain about the continuous barking you would have to show it is not continuous. If she barks the whole time she is outside, then you need to get a barking collar to show animal control (if he complains) that you are taking reasonable measures and also that the dog is not outside for long periods of time.

The laws say continuous barking for long times is the owner's responsibility to stop.