Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can the design of a golf course be copyrighted?

Customer Question

Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Robert McEwen, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

No. Golf courses are not treated as “works of art” under traditional copyright law and are further excluded from the definition of “architectural works” within the Architectural Works Copyright Protection Act. See "Putting Intellectual Property Law on the Fairway: Toward an Expansion of Copyright Law to Golf Course Architecture", 28 COLUM. J.L. & ARTS 379, 388 (2005) (“Under current regimes, golf course architects cannot seek protection for their designs under any section of the Copyright Act.”).

Note that the design itself (i.e. blueprints, etc...) could be copyrighted, in that no one can copy that specific 2 dimensional representation of the course. But as it stands, copyright would not provide the protection needed to a golf course (at least right now as the law is). The law would need to be amended to protect large scale landscaping such as golf courses (or ski resorts, etc...) which it does not currently.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!