Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I want to register a trade name, in Arizona that someone

Customer Question
else is using but they...
I want to register a trade name, in Arizona that someone else is using but they were dumb enough not to register it or incorporate it. do they have president over me if I grab it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
10/6/2015
IP Lawyer: Alex Reese, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer

trademark rights are ultimately based on actual use in commerce, so if it came down to a dispute, the first and continuous user in commerce would have priority

of course if there is no conflict or dispute regarding likelihood of confusion between the marks, then it won't ever come up....but the first user in commerce will have the priority (assuming they continue to the use the mark)

its actually a trade name not a mark.???

The trade name used by a company is the official name under which they conduct business...Filing taxes, billing, and formal identification are all examples of issues that could fall under a company's trade name. It's first come first serve as far as registering the name with your state.

last question they file under a different corporate name completely, but use the name in question they use as a dba.

I didn't see a question there

they use a different corporate name for all business, but the name in question is a DBA, I want to grab it?

you can register the business name with the state if its not taken, but if that name is ***** ***** in commerce then there may be trademark confusion issues so you will be taking a risk

bot***** *****ne, if they are a competitor of any kind then you don't want to use a same/similar name

OK thanks great service well worth the money.

best of luck

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer