How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33399
Experience:  18 years experience
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

To Whom It May Concern: I am 64, a semi-retired teacher,

Customer Question

To Whom It May Concern:
I am 64, a semi-retired teacher, and, more importantly, a self-published author with 20 books to my credit. I have no heirs although I do have a conventional charity will in place. I want to give my cousin Ina, a fellow writer, the "rights" to my 20 books. They are not yet officially copyrighted (I'm doing that over the next couple of years) but they all have ISBN numbers. I want her to have 1) access to my storefront website 2)my password ***** 3) the right to reap royalties from my books when they sell and 4) any accruing value stemming from their being published by a publisher later on. I thought maybe a codicil to my will. Or perhaps just a carefully worded letter prepared by you, a qualified attorney. How could I best go about it so that my literary works have a home after my demise and survive me, hopefully, into perpetuity? Mary
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

There are a couple of methods you could use. The easiest is through a will or a codicil to a will. Codicils are getting rare now, most attorneys prefer just to redo the entire will and that way there is never going to be an issue as to some discrepancy between the original will and the codicil.

The second, and more involved way, is to put all of these into a trust and then have the trust proceeds go to you during your lifetime and then at death begin to go to her.

The trust may make sense if you have other assets that you need to address but to know for sure you'd need to sit down with an attorney and go over your assets and liabilities as well as the tax implications at death.

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions