Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I created a portable bar in 2007, while doing this I took

Customer Question
I created a portable bar...
I created a portable bar for red bull in 2007, while doing this I took the plans and the name of the bar "NightShift Bar" to the post office and had all this information copyright protected. yesterday I found a company in georgia "Pivot Corp." that has my exact bar and is even calling it the "NightShift Bar". They could have possible built up to 3000 pcs. at the price of $3500.00 ea. They are claiming that they designed and produced this bar in 2011. My proof or design ownership dates back to 2007. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/29/2015
IP Lawyer: montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor replied 2 years ago
montysimmons
montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor

Hello, I can help you with this issue.

Unfortunately, you are in a weak position.

First, Copyright protects artistic expression, not ideas. Patents are used to protect ideas. If the bar qualifies as a work of art and they copied your work you could have a case against them. Such seems unlikely.

Now if they copied your plans and you can prove same, you would have a good copyright infringement action against them. IF the copyright in the plans is registered with the Copyright office, then you can get statutory damages and attorney fees. Would be a good case.

As for the "idea", unless you filed for a patent by 2009 the "idea" can no longer be protected by a patent. If you have a patent on the design (which seems unlikely but possible) such would be worth taking a look at the accused bar and compare to your patent claims.

Trademark: You could trademark the name "NightShift Bar" if you continued to make the bar from 2007 to present. Such would allow you to stop them from using your brand name.

SUMMARY

(1) Copyright protects artistic expression, not the idea. It is possible you have a copyright case against them but difficult to know base on the facts you gave.

(2) Patents - if you filed a patent application on the design by 2009 you might have a patent infringement suit.

(3) Trademark : you might be able to register your brand "NightShift Bar" if you are still making the item and someone does not own a similar name that would be confusingly similar to yours. If you obtained a trademark you could make them stop using the "NightShift Bar" name.

If you have more questions, please ask - and in fact, please ask question until you are satisfied.

Thanks

montysimmons
montysimmons
montysimmons, Patent Prosecutor