Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I am crating a website that I cannot find that anybody else

Customer Question
has created to date. This...
I am crating a website that I cannot find that anybody else has created to date. This website is specifically designed to help people find others that share common issues. I do not want to give out to much information at this time since I do not know who I'm corresponding with. How do I go about keeping my work confidential, yet give enough information to determine if my work can be copy writen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
8/18/2015
IP Lawyer: BH, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
BH
BH, Lawyer

At this stage is sounds like you just have an idea. Unfortunately, ideas cannot be copyright protected. You can copyright the look, feel and code of a website but not the concept. For instance, if someone wanted to create something identical to LinkedIn or Facebook they could do so, so long as they did not copy the design, logos or code. The idea itself is free to use. If you want to protect your idea from being taken from you by someone that you are engaging to create the site (for instance the coders and designers that you hire to build it) you can require that they sign a Confidentiality Agreement (also known as a non-disclosure agreement or NDA). Once you have created the actual website, the elements are are protectable by copyright law will automatically be protected. If you want further protection from the statute you can file with the copyright office. Feel free to continue asking questions if you need more information. Also, if you want more information about copyright law and what it protects, the Copyright Office has some good simple circulars. Please see: http://copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

Thank you for your response. The website is in its final stages of completion. Hope to launch in the next 30 days.
Wonderful. Looking forward to see it launched. You can obtain statutory copyright protection for the elements such as the logo and the look of the site by filing it with the copyright office online at www.copyright.gov. Each application is $35.
Let me know if you need any more info. If you are satisfied with my answer please be sure to rate it so that I can be compensated for my time.
BH
BH
BH, Lawyer