Kendell Kelly, Esq
Kendell Kelly, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer practicing in all areas of intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and new media.
72980900

I am a small bar that brings in a country solo artist

Customer Question

I am a small bar that brings in a country solo artist once/week, do I need to pay BMI? I gross less than $4000/week and have been open less than 1 year and at this time , still not quite breaking even.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Kendell! Happy to help! Please remember that this is a tool for information only, we cannot give you legal advice and thus cannot tell you what to do or not (since that is prohibited).This should not be considered a attorney-client relationship. Also, please reserve your feedback until we have fully answered your question -- I will stick with you until we do.

Unfortunately, if you plan to play music in your bar -- even beyond the soloist -- you will need to have a license from one of the performing rights organizations...That can be BMi, but could be ASCAP, or SESAC as well. You will want pick the one that gives you the broadest catalog for your money.

While initially daunting, the cost can be negotiated and the organization representatives are also concerned with you being a long time customer, not just getting all your money quickly. Does that make sense?