How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kendell Kelly, Esq Your Own Question
Kendell Kelly, Esq
Kendell Kelly, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 588
Experience:  Lawyer practicing in all areas of intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and new media.
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Kendell Kelly, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a small bar that brings in a country solo artist

Customer Question

I am a small bar that brings in a country solo artist once/week, do I need to pay BMI? I gross less than $4000/week and have been open less than 1 year and at this time , still not quite breaking even.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Kendell! Happy to help! Please remember that this is a tool for information only, we cannot give you legal advice and thus cannot tell you what to do or not (since that is prohibited).This should not be considered a attorney-client relationship. Also, please reserve your feedback until we have fully answered your question -- I will stick with you until we do.

Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, if you plan to play music in your bar -- even beyond the soloist -- you will need to have a license from one of the performing rights organizations...That can be BMi, but could be ASCAP, or SESAC as well. You will want pick the one that gives you the broadest catalog for your money.

Expert:  Kendell Kelly, Esq replied 1 year ago.

While initially daunting, the cost can be negotiated and the organization representatives are also concerned with you being a long time customer, not just getting all your money quickly. Does that make sense?

Related Intellectual Property Law Questions