How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 118658
Experience:  Attorney practicing all aspects of copyright/trademark law
Type Your Intellectual Property Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hazem Nuseibeh. I am an author of the book Ideas of Arab

Customer Question

My name is***** I am an author of the book Ideas of Arab Nationalism originally published in 1956 by Cornell Publishing. Recently I discovered that Literary Licensing, LLC has republished my book. It is now selling on Amazon. Could you please advice me on how to
1. Stop the sale of the illegal copies
2. Get compensation for the sale of the illegal copies
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send a cease and desist letter to the company that is republishing your book without your consent. In the cease and desist letter you would make a demand for all profits they have made from the sale of the book without your express written consent PLUS a claim for damages (which could be up to $100,000 per violation plus attorney's fees). If they refuse to respond to your claim, which is likely going to be their action, then you would need to sue them in court for copyright infringement to get the court to issue a judgment against them and once you have a judgment against them you could seek enforcement through the courts.